POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I need a little math help : Re: I need a little math help Server Time
9 Aug 2024 23:29:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need a little math help
From: David Fontaine
Date: 24 Apr 2000 17:37:47
Message: <3904BE21.EAD45C53@faricy.net>
Phil Clute wrote:

> I can't remember how to determine the new x y coordinates in a
> circle and it's been a while since I've done any real math, so trying
> to work the problem by myself has resulted in failure...
>
> If I have a radius of 10(pov units)and the line is then rotated by
> say 45degrees(or whatever angle I need), what is the new <x,y>?
> I can't remember the formula for it...
>
> I could just translate the object along x and then rotate around z,
> but I kind of need the math to find it's new postion.

Well, in "real" math, 0 degrees is along the positive x-axis and rotation
goes counterclockwise. That uses the formula <u,v>=radius*<cos theta, sin
theta>
But since POV is a lefty system :-) you (if rotating around y) start at
positive z and go clockwise in which case it's <u,v>=radius*<sin theta,
cos theta>
and remember these functions take radians...

this is exactly the kind of stuff we're doing in math right now (well,
actually we've moved on to periodic functions in general) and it's so
booooring and such a waste of my time and so pointless and boring and I
learn nothing from it and it's all review and it's review even if you
don't know trig since we're just using scalars to transform graphs and
well i shouldn't complain at least i can get it done in class while he
blabs on and on because next year will be worse i'll get actual homework
in that class

--
 | \     |_          <dav### [at] faricynet> <ICQ 55354965>
 |_/avid |ontaine        http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad." -Dali